Alan Hahn is co-chair of the Benefits & Compensation Practice Group of Davis & Gilbert. His practice is devoted to advising clients in the design and implementation of creative, unique and tax-effective employee benefit plans and programs.
Mr. Hahn's broad practice covers all types of employee benefit and compensation plans and programs, including retirement, health & welfare, deferred compensation and equity plans. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, as well as mid-size and smaller employers. He counsels clients in a multitude of areas, including plan establishment and day-to-day plan management, as well as in settings such as mergers and acquisitions and bankruptcies. Mr. Hahn has extensive experience in:
• Qualified retirement plans (401(k) plans, money purchase plans, defined benefit pension plans, and Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs))
• Health and welfare plans (self-insured medical plans, fully-insured medical plans, health savings accounts (HSAs), health reimbursement accounts (HRAs), dental plans, vision plans, health care flexible spending account plans, dependent care flexible spending account plans, disability plans, cafeteria plans, wellness programs, life insurance plans, educational assistance plans, and transportation plans, among others)
• Non-qualified deferred compensation plans (SERPs, excess plans, phantom equity plans and other types of deferred compensation plans)
• Equity plans (stock option plans, employee stock purchase plans, and incentive compensation plans)
• Bonus and severance plans
In addition, Mr. Hahn works closely with employers on privacy issues, with a focus on privacy and security requirements under Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). He advises employers on their HIPAA compliance efforts, both with respect to Protected Health Information it collects as a HIPAA covered entity (e.g., as a sponsor of a group health plan) and as a business associate of a HIPAA covered entity (e.g., as a service provider to a HIPAA covered entity).
Mr. Hahn has been recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. 2015 in the area of labor and employment: workplace and employment counseling. He is an active speaker, who regularly presents in group settings to update clients on current employee benefits issues, speaking on a wide variety of employee benefit topics.
Before joining Davis & Gilbert, Mr. Hahn was a Manager in the Employee Benefits-Tax Group in the New York office of Deloitte & Touche, where he provided employee benefit advice to some of the region’s and nation’s largest employers.